The United States Mission to South Africa, in participation with AFS, is currently recruiting for the Kennedy Lugar YES scholarship.
AFS Interculture South Africa offers the unique chance to spend ten months on the best cultural experience of your life! You will be living with a carefully selected host family and going to a local high school. Our host families live in all corners of America, mostly in small towns or villages and they look forward to opening their hearts and homes to welcome you.
Apply now and be one of the exchange students!
Programme : Year Programme to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
Duration : 10 Months
Date : August 2020 – June 2021
Cost : Full Scholarship Sponsored by the Kennedy Lugar Youth Exchange and Study Programme and the Department of State.
Application closing date: 16 August 2019
You are eligible if:
- You are a South Africa resident.
- You were born between 01/01/2003 and 01/08/2005.
- You are enrolled in a secondary school at time of application.
- You have the equivalent of a B average (70%) or better for the past three years, with no subject mark below 50% for 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- You must have lived for more than 50% (3yrs) of the last 5 years in South Africa.
- You are able to produce all school reports from January 2017 until June 2019.
- You have not yet completed more than 11 years of primary education nor received a high school matric certificate.
- You must be able to speak and understand English.
- You are able to complete the preliminary application and send it to AFS at the email below.
- You have a valid passport and unabridged birth certificate, or are able to apply for one.
- You must be open-minded, flexible and independent.
- You must be able to attend a selection day in Johannesburg, Pietermaritzburg or Cape Town at your own expense, and if short listed, again for a language test and further selection procedures.
- Shortlisted students will need to produce their vaccination card and pay for further immunisations as required.
DON’T MISS THIS OPPORTUNITY TO TRAVEL & LEARN ABOUT A DIFFERENT CULTURE!
You can download a Pre-Application Form here KL-YES-Pre-Application-2020-2021
and the School Recommendation Form here.
Or please contact the AFS National Office at 011 431 0113 or [email protected]
For information about the exchange experience, please take a look at some of the Student Stories here.
If you would like to share information about this fantastic opportunity, there are two downloadable documents that you can print and share with your friends!