You don’t have to go far to find an AFSer making a difference at home or around the world. That’s because AFS helps young people become engaged global citizens—prepared and committed to bringing people together and helping make the world a better place.
Why should I study abroad?
- Living, learning and making friends in another country helps you connect with a world larger than your own.
- Studying abroad builds confidence and helps you become more comfortable in new and cross-cultural settings—in your home community or across the world.
- Learning how to become a global citizen will help you understand, define and take your place in the world.
- Exchange programmes provide practical skills and understanding you need to communicate, collaborate and make friends with people from different cultures and backgrounds.
- Learning another language or strengthening your language skills allows you to see the world through the eyes of others and experience a new culture in a much more personal way.
- Staying with a host family will help you appreciate perspectives of other people, as well as their cultures, values and traditions.
- Joining a global community like AFS helps you embrace differences and realize that our world is stronger and more interesting because of them.
- You’ll build your academic portfolio and CV/resume and stand out from the crowd when you apply to university.
- New opportunities that can help you discover your path in life will be opened to you