AFS encourages everyone in our global community to embrace our “learning to live together” philosophy and foster intercultural understanding to create positive change for a more just and peaceful world.
To accomplish this, AFS educational programs help future leaders, global citizens and changemakers develop essential 21st century intercultural skills to thrive and succeed in a globalized world, build bridges among cultures and tackle the world’s interconnected problems.
Specifically, AFS intercultural learning programs are designed to help AFSers and people of all ages:
- Learn firsthand about the impact of culture on values and the decisions they make
- Gain the ability to better see themselves through the eyes of others
- Challenge assumptions
- Broaden their views on stereotypes and global issues
- Gain understanding on how to shift perspectives effectively, appropriately and authentically
- Create innovative solutions to resolve real-world challenges
- Develop the practical 21st century skills, knowledge and understanding needed to become active global citizens